Freitag, 26. März 2021

Keeping my English up to date


Today's blog entry is about language.

These days I'm watching the documentary series Cosmos - not the original by Carl Sagan, but the modernized version, hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I'm loving it, just like I loved PBS' Black Hole Apocalypse or Planet Earth or any documentary featuring David Attenborough, or "social" features like Fyre (2019) about the greatest music festival that never happened, or Knock Down The House (2020) about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez' way into the American Senate.

The difference with Cosmos is the scientific language - even with a language proficiency level of a native speaker it is sometimes challenging to grasp all the scientific concepts and understand all of the terminology - but I'm still loving it, trying to improve my English whenever possible, and documentary features are much better suited than mainstream Hollywood movies or most video games.

What about you? How do you keep your English fluent and contemporary? I live a rather solitary life, so having an English conversation is not an option for me (though I liked spending an English evening with YazzTazz back at university). I listen to and talk back at my screen - not the best way, but it suffices (even though, as a consequence, I tend to use a too artificial kind of language when it comes to real conversation).

Was tut Ihr, um Euer Englisch nicht einrosten zu lassen?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen